Wednesday 26 October 2011

Absence makes the heart and all that

Well the summer raced by with a blaring distraction that took me away from the internet world and into the strange new world of bumps and babies and things (never again to be mentioned). It was, however, a rather good excuse for not blogging for so long. But, oh! What this blog has missed. It has been a glorious summer of Shakespeare. I saw two productions that I won't soon forget and may have lodged themselves into my consciousness as *definitive* versions.

From the 'NOW' projected onto the curtain before the opening scene from Richard III at the Old Vic, every moment of that production was engrossing. Not knowing the play perhaps as well as I should, I turned to my companions and we wondered why 'NOW'? The curtain comes up. A craggy and fantastic Kevin Spacey sits sprawled in a chair, with a crooked smile and a crooked speech. "Now is the winter of our discontent, Made glorious summer by this sun of York!" and a shiver runs up the spine. It was all so stylishly timeless. And who cares if it seems history painted Richard III blacker than he really was?

The Globe is always good for a joyous comedy, complete with raucous crowds, song and dance. I caught All's Well that End's Well and enjoyed it, despite the End justifying the rather dubious Means - a sprinkling of philosophy with your comedy, sir? But by far the highlight was Much Ado About Nothing. When I do next see a production, I will be quite unable to reconcile my now fondly kept image of Benedick with any other portrayal. Charles Edwards was hilarious, slightly camp perfection (you may have seen him in 'Holy Flying Circus' on the BBC last week in a hilarious, slightly camp portrayal of Michael Palin). There's an unconventional hero for the Romance community to analyse! Eve Best's Beatrice was wonderfully shrewish, while still being quick, clever and completely lovable.

But alas! The summer is gone and there will be no more Shakespeare for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment